The Ultimate Best Man’s Speech Template
Published date: 16th March 2021 | Author: Hollie Bond
NB: To help you browse our best suggestions we have included some third party links. Some purchases made through these links may earn us a commission to help keep our blogs and offers current and up to date. Thanks for your support!
No idea where to start when it comes to writing your best man speech? Use our failsafe best man’s speech template for inspiration to write and deliver an Oscar-worthy performance.
You’ve been given the huge honour of being the best man at your best friend’s wedding – congratulations! Now you’ve celebrated together and have had fun coming up with all sorts of fun ideas for the stag do, it’s time to knuckle down to the harder work of coming up with a best man speech that’ll show your best mate how much he means to you and that’ll entertain all the wedding guests in equal measure.
Not many of us are natural speech writers or deliverers. In fact, this might be the very first speech you’ve ever been asked to do. If you’re staring at a blank document and have no idea where or how to start when it comes to writing a brilliant and funny best man speech, don’t panic. Plenty of other best men have been in your shoes before.
To help you create a funny, but well-structured and entertaining speech, we’ve put together an easy-to-use best man speech template. Use this to create a structure for your speech and then fill your speech full of personal anecdotes and your own unique jokes and sense of humour.
How To Write An Amazing Best Man Speech
Before you dive headfirst into writing your best man speech, there are a few rules you need to consider to ensure your speech is as entertaining as it can possibly be. The key to a good best man speech is that it sounds casual and effortless, but there’s still a good structure, and this can only be achieved if you follow these simple, but effective rules:
1) Timing: Keep your speech short! Make sure your speech is around seven to fifteen minutes long. Any shorter and it sounds like you’ve not put the effort in. Any longer and you’re at risk of boring the guests and sounding monotonous.
2) Make sure you don’t leave it till the last minute. A good speech takes preparation and practice. If you’ve always been the sort of person who procrastinates, then now is the time to make a change. You should start this speech at least a month in advance of the wedding to give yourself time to make edits and learn the speech by heart so you can deliver it effortlessly.
3) Don’t include any private jokes or stories the wedding guests won’t understand. Think about your audience at all times. This is not a private speech between you and the groom. Everyone needs to understand what you’re talking about or you risk alienating them.
4) Don’t talk about yourself too much. This is not your day, but the brides and grooms. If you’re going to go on about anyone, it should be the groom!
5) Spend the most time working on the introduction and the end. These are the bits most guests will remember.
6) Any jokes about the groom or members of the wedding party should be wholesome and family-friendly rather than rude, crude, and offensive. Remember anecdotes and short stories or observational jokes about the groom work much better in this speech than one-liners that you’ve randomly found online. Give the guests time to warm up to a joke rather than expecting them to roar with laughter at a single out-of-context sentence.
7) Think about having an overarching theme. The best man speeches have a thread running through them that links all the different elements. If you can, try and think of a loose theme for your speech (don’t force it though if it’s not working). Something you can reference at the start and then come back to at various points makes for an excellent and joined-up speech. Ideas could be a certain well-known trait of the best man. Or perhaps a story about the groom that you can drip feed throughout the speech, with a hilarious result revealed at the end.
Best Man Speech Template
Best man speech opening lines
To get your audience on your side from the off, start your speech with a strong and amusing opening line if you can. We’ve rounded up some of the greatest best man speech opening jokes for you to take your pick from. A classic way to get guests on your side is to mention how you’re feeling about the speech or what you’ve been feeling in the run-up to delivering a speech, as they will immediately have empathy for you and be willing you to do well. Make it funny and self-deprecating though, rather than making them doubt your abilities to deliver a speech!
Welcoming the guests
Once you’ve said the first sentence you’ll feel a bit more comfortable and can get into your stride. The most important thing to ensure you do at the start of the speech is to welcome the guests. This is can be a simple sentence welcoming them and thanking them for coming to the wedding on behalf of the bride and groom. This can also be a good time to mention how honored you are to be the best man and also to pay some compliments to the bride and the bridesmaids.
Introduce yourself and how you met the groom
Next on the agenda should be introducing yourself in more detail and telling those members of the audience how you met the groom. Make sure the guests know your name and how you’re related or linked to the groom. If you’ve got a funny story about how you met, bring it out now. Talk about your initial thoughts about the groom and how you hit it off (or didn’t!).
Talk about the best man
Now you’re into your stride, this section should form the main section of your speech. After all, the best man speech is all about the groom and what a great guy he is. Talk about his character – the good bits and the not so good (remember wholesome jokes only) and spend time reflecting on how he has grown as a person since you’ve known him.
Focus on the comedy value here, and don’t be afraid to exaggerate traits or stories a little for the comedy value. As long as there’s a basis in truth the audience will know you’re hamming it up! Alongside any best man speech jokes, be sure to add in some touching and emotional stories about the groom to provide some variety. You can also mention any major accomplishments that the groom has made in his life in this section if it’s relevant. Remember a bride will have her father’s speech to talk about how amazing she is, so as a best man it’s your duty to paint the groom in just as good a light.
The bride and the groom
Now that your best mate is married, it’s time to talk about the other love in his life – his new bride and how he met her. Talk about how they met and how you, as his best friend, knew that he was smitten and in love. This is another chance to make fun of him for being soppy or behaving in an out-of-character way. This is also part of the speech where you can be a bit more serious and you can talk about how amazing the bride is and how happy she makes your best friend.
You can even thank the bride, if you feel it is appropriate, for making the groom so happy. If you’re in a place to do so (or perhaps it’s funnier if you’re not) now is also a time to offer some advice to the bride and groom for the years to come. Keep it light-hearted and funny. No one wants to be told how hard marriage is on their big day.
The wedding day
Once you’ve exhausted all your jokes and anecdotes about the groom, it’s time to pay a few compliments. You can start with the wedding day itself, talking about how fabulous it has been so far and the amount of effort that has gone into the day. You can thank the parents of both the bride and the groom if you like here, but don’t go into a long list of thank-yous, as that is the groom’s job in his speech.
The best man speech toast
You’ll be glad to hear this is the final element of the best man speech and you can really afford to relax and be jubilant at this point in the speech as all your nerves should be gone and you’ll be well and truly at ease with public speaking by now. Much like the conclusion to an essay, you can use this part to quickly summarise the key points from your speech, or you can even complete a classic best man’s speech joke that you’ve cleverly woven in through the majority of the speech. Feel free to pepper this section with a few well-chosen last jokes to leave your guests feeling happy and upbeat too.
Your speech should end with a heartfelt toast to the newlyweds. Start with a few hopes and well wishes for the couple and then invite the wedding guests to stand and join you in raising a toast to the happy couple.
What To Do Once You've Written Your Best Man Speech
Now you’ve followed this best man speech template and have the bones of your speech written down, you’ll probably feel a real weight off your shoulders. From here, you can take your time fleshing out the details of the speech and adding or amending jokes where you see fit.
Now you need to time yourself reading the speech and cut or add to it depending on the time it comes out at. It’s also a really smart idea to ask someone to listen to your speech and give you honest feedback. Don’t choose anyone too close to the bride or groom as they will want to hear it for the first time on the wedding day. Another groomsman or someone going on the stag do would work well.